The 40 days of Lent are a good time to give up unhealthy habits and cultivate a few healthy ones.
Here are our top 10 tips to guarantee feeling fitter by Easter:
1. Give up smoking – you know all the reasons why. Just stub it out! (Have you ever tried hypnotherapy?)
2. Take up walking. Even a few minutes a day can make a difference, so cut out lifts and escalators and leave the car behind.
3. Give up sugar – refined sugar in fizzy drinks is one of the major causes of obesity and is linked to a range of health problems such as type 2 diabetes.
4. Eat more fruit. This is a great substitute for sugar as well as a vital source of vitamins.
5. Give up your lie-in. Get up, get a shower, get moving and get things done. Lying in can leave you feeling listless.
6. Eat a healthy breakfast. Starting the day the right way can give you the energy you need.
7. Give up late nights. Sleep is good for you in so many ways, so substitute late night TV or computer games for a relaxing decaf tea and a good book (nothing too exciting – the idea is to send you gently to sleep!)
8. Water – keeping yourself properly hydrated reduces your craving for unhealthy drinks and food.
9. Give up TV: couch potatoes have a higher risk of health problems.
10. Give up alcohol. It will make you thinner, fitter and improve your sleep.