Here at PhysioExtra in Richmond, we offer a range of massage treatments to help you de-stress and energise.
Sports Massage/Deep Tissue Massage
Different massage techniques can be very beneficial for compromised tissues. If you are training hard or just have some aching muscles from daily stresses, sports or deep tissue massage can help to realign dysfunctional tissues, making you ready to take on your chosen activities.
Deep tissue massage techniques work on tissues on a deeper level. These specific techniques involve muscles and fascia as well as ligaments and tendons. Benefits include:
- Realigning muscle fibres
- Breaking down adhesions/ scar tissue
- Stimulating circulation and therefore the healing process
- Restoring balance, aiding posture and increasing movement within joints
- Preparation for exercise as well as faster recovery post event/training.
Specific techniques used will vary depending on the nature of the problem but can include frictions and trigger point therapy.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage
What is the Lymphatic System?
Lymphatic drainage naturally occurs within the body’s lymphatic system and is an essential part of immunity. If this function isn’t working properly, it can cause a build up of fluid in the tissues as well as more serious problems.
The body’s lymphatic system is made up of a network of thin tubes or vessels, lymph nodes, lymph and lymphocytes (immune cells). Lymph nodes are situated around the body, including the armpits, groin and neck as well as in the chest and abdomen. These nodes produce the body’s immune cells to help fight infection as well as filtering the lymph fluid in order to remove foreign materials. When helping to fight infection, these nodes can swell and become uncomfortable.
Unlike our circulatory system, the lymphatic system has no way to pump lymph around the body and therefore relies on body movement and breathing to circulate this fluid. Certain medical conditions can allow the lymphatic system to become overworked, leaving the body prone to infection. With certain cancer treatments, lymph nodes are removed therefore increasing vulnerability to infection as well as increasing the load put on this system. This is also true after a bout of inactivity due to illness or operations. Injuries can also produce localised swelling, which if too excessive can become a problem.
What is Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
This technique is a type of very gentle massage aiming to encourage the body’s natural drainage of lymphatic fluid from the tissues. Generally, no oils or creams are necessary and massage is performed in a specific direction, towards the lymph nodes. This technique uses very light pressure and smooth, rhythmic movements, helping the body to detoxify and reduce swelling.
It is often used to reduce post operative swelling and its benefits include:
- Stimulating lymph flow and therefore enhancing immunity
- Reducing swelling especially after operations and adhesions
- Helping to detoxify tissues
- Reducing possible complications from lymphedema
- Having an analgesic effect
- It is deeply relaxing
Manual lymphatic drainage is often used alongside other treatments i.e. exercise, compression, medications and ice therapy to promote circulation. Kinesiology Taping techniques can also help with lymphatic drainage.
Although this technique can be very effective, it is not suitable for all types of cancer, any internal bleeding, serious heart disease or serious infections. If you have nay concerns, please consult with your consultant, GP or health professional.
Relaxation massage is a type of treatment providing the ultimate de-stressing experience. It is designed to soothe and relax, as pressure is light and rhythmic but does not aim to relieve chronic pain or any underlying ailments. A relaxing and nurturing treatment, this form of massage allows you time to recover from the stresses of daily life, calming body and mind.
Benefits of Relaxation Massage:
- Temporarily reduces blood pressure
- Increases peripheral circulation
- Increases skin tone and appearance
- Can improve frequency of bowel movements
- Decreases muscle tension and can help to relieve tension headaches
- Can improve any stress related conditions
- Can provide a gentle boost to the immune system if you undergo regular treatments
- Can generally enhance well-being and feeling of self worth
Indian Head Massage
This is a form of massage therapy created in India thousands of years ago, derived from the Ayurvedic tradition that focuses on the head, shoulders and neck.
Through a variety of techniques, the massage works to release any blocked negative energy in the body that may be manifesting itself as disease or injury in any one of the seven Chakras (energy centres) of the body. It does so by applying pressure to certain points on the neck, shoulders and head that correspond to each Chakra (which is a similar approach to Reflexology). This unblocks the Chakras and allows for a free flow of energy around the body, restoring the individual to optimum health and feelings of well-being.
Indian Head Massage is a seated massage performed through clothes on the upper back, neck, shoulders, arms and head.
Benefits of Indian Head Massage:
- Relief from pain and stiffness in the muscles of the face, neck, upper back and shoulders.
- Increased mobility of the neck joints
- Relief from tension headaches, eye strain and nasal congestion
- Renewed energy
- Reduction of depression, anxiety and other stress related problems
- Higher levels of creativity, clarity, concentration and improved memory
- A sense of tranquility, calmness and positive wellbeing
- Sound, restful sleep leaving you refreshed
- Stronger immune system
- Improved skin tone, health and colour
- Hair growth stimulation
- Increased self esteem, self worth and self awareness
- Balanced Chakras
So whether you lead a hectic lifestyle and are in need of a de-stress or you are training for an important event, here at PhysioExtra, we have a massage treatment and therapist with the right skills to suit you.
Call us now for more information and to book an appointment today 020 8549 6666